Most clients don’t understand exactly what goes on behind the scenes. They think the bulk of photographer’s work is done at the actual wedding, but in fact, the opposite is true!
When you’re a creative photographer, shooting an image in a particular way is 80% of it, editing and seeing what can be done to an image is the other 20%. But that 20% takes hours and hours. A typical wedding takes 60 hours to edit. That’s not including backing up (I happen to do that three different ways), getting the discs ready for clients, designing the album, or putting up a preview.
Just to give you a little example of the tiny details I look for when editing to give you the best possible image, here are two examples ::
Now, this was a special moment…the big kiss after the “I Do’s”. It’s a wonderful moment to capture and so full of emotion. The focus is on the kiss and the couple. But nine times out of ten, the officiant is usually half in it, half hidden behind the couple. It adds some distraction and takes away from the simplicity and pureness of the moment.
So, my job is to make this shot look like exactly how I would have liked to take it in camera. And that’s what I do. It’s all about the details!